Wed | Aug 23, 2017

Hanover Parish Council under the microscope after building collapse

Published:Wednesday | May 11, 2016 | 5:06 AM

Debbie-Ann Wright, News Editor - Radio

The Hanover Parish Council is facing scrutiny following yesterday’s collapse of a building on a hotel construction site in Negril and revelations the Council was aware of breaches at the site.

Yesterday, Local Government Minister Desmond McKenzie ordered the immediate halting of construction at the Royalton hotel site for the next 30 days.

According to McKenzie, a preliminary report into the incident indicates that substandard material was being used.

He also said work was being undertaken outside of permitted hours and construction was being undertaken in areas for which there had been no approval.

READ: Royal mess - Probe launched into collapse at hotel construction site in Negril

PHOTO: A section of the hotel which is the first in Negril to have four floors.

McKenzie said the Parish Council has long been receiving reports about breaches at the site but failed intervene.

He says he will be looking at why the Council had not taken action against the developer.

 

Local Government Minister, Desmond McKenzie

McKenzie says he will be visiting the construction site and the parish council today to get firsthand knowledge of the situation at the construction site.

READ: Negril planning authority never approved Royalton plans - Former chairman

McKenzie has also established a three-man team to investigate the incident and produce a report with strong recommendations within seven days.

He says the stop order could be extended following the team’s investigation.

 

Local Government Minister, Desmond McKenzie

The investigative team is comprised of chief executive officer of the National Works Agency, E.G Hunter; Chief Technical Officer in the local government ministry, Dwight Wilson; and the City Engineer at the Kingston and St Andrew Corporation, Norman Shand.