Tue | Oct 17, 2017

Construction work at Royalton Negril hotel still ongoing - residents complain

Published:Monday | May 16, 2016 | 12:13 PM
Several residents at a gated apartment complex west of the Royalton Negril hotel construction site have complained of the sound of a jackhammer and other heavy equipment working throughout the nights.

Claudia Gardener, Gleaner Writer

Residents close to the Royalton Negril hotel construction site in Hanover are complaining that construction work is still taking place there at nights, despite the imposition of a stop order.

A 30-day stop order was imposed last week after a section of a building which was being constructed collapsed, injuring five workers.

However, one manager at a neighbouring hotel told The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre that there has been no break in activities at the site.

Several residents at a gated apartment complex west of the site have complained of the sound of a jackhammer and other heavy equipment working throughout the nights.

When contacted, newly installed chairman of the Negril Green Island Local Planning Authority, Brian Wallace, said while he has not had any official reports on the matter, he has seen workmen entering and leaving the site.

However, he says he suspects that some amount of work would have to be continued at the site.

He says the parish council should say what the details of the stop order are.

Director of the Negril Chamber of Commerce, Sophie Grizzle, says a report on the matter has been made to the Minister of Local Government.

Calls to Lucea Mayor Wynter McIntosh’s phone went unanswered. 

A member of the council’s Planning committee said the mayor was locked in a two-day retreat of the council at this time.