Sat | Jan 20, 2018

Immigration Corner | I want to cancel my application

Published:Tuesday | May 24, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Dear Mr Bassie,

I recently applied for a visa to go to the United Kingdom, but I have changed my mind. Can you please advise whether I am able to cancel the application? If so, how this can be done?

- K.N.

Dear K.N.,

Persons who have made visa, immigration or citizenship applications are able to ask to cancel (withdraw) an application for a visa, visa extension or citizenship. The way an application is cancelled depends on where the application originated.

If the application was made from outside the United Kingdom, generally speaking, persons should contact the United Kingdom Visa and Immigration Service (UKVI) to find the correct method to cancel the application.

If persons have been unable to find information which can help or they have a general enquiry about United Kingdom visas and immigration application process, they can make contact by telephone or email. They can phone or email the international enquiry service if they have a general enquiry about applying for or cancelling a visa from outside the United Kingdom. Please be aware that enquiry service staff do not play any part in, or influence the outcome of, any visa application.

The enquiry staff is able to provide a tracking service for submitted visa applications. They will require the number allocated to the applicant during the application process and his/her date of birth to provide this service. Persons can only get fee refunds if the applications have not yet been processed.

If persons have applied in the United Kingdom, they will need to cancel their application using the online form. It should also be noted that applicants who wish to cancel their applications will not get their fee refunded if they cancel an application that was made in the United Kingdom.

However, please be aware that it is sometimes possible for applicants to get their passport or other documents returned without withdrawing their application. The applicant will be advised of this when he/she is filling in the form. In addition, persons withdrawing or cancelling their application should be aware, if they are in the United Kingdom, they may lose permission to stay in the United Kingdom by choosing to cancel the application.

It is worth noting that persons cannot stop the cancellation once the application has been received by the Home Office.

I hope this helps.

- John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (UK).