Sat | Mar 17, 2018

Immigration Corner | What should I submit?

Published:Tuesday | May 31, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Dear Ms Powell,

I have an urgent question. I applied for my son under the express-entry system and put that he has an aunt in Canada. He got an invitation to apply and they are now asking for proof that he has an aunt there. What documents can I submit? What if I can't get the documents in time?

- WL


Dear WL,

Congratulations to your son for receiving an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residence in Canada. The express entry system is points-based. Additional points are awarded for adaptability if there is proof that at least one of the following relatives is in Canada: aunt, uncle, brother, sister, parent, grandparent, child, niece, nephew, or spouse. He will need to provide documents to substantiate the information presented in the initial express-entry profile.

Since you indicated that your son has an aunt in Canada, the necessary proof required are documents to show how the parties are related, the relative's legal status in Canada and proof that she is living in Canada. The relative will need to be over 18 years old.

So if the relative is your sister, you should provide a copy of your birth certificate, your sister's birth certificate and your son's birth certificate. This is assuming that the birth certificate clearly shows that you share at least one parent.

If she is a paternal aunt, then the required birth certificates would be that of your son's father and the aunt to show that there is at least one common parent.

In some cases, the father's name is not on the birth certificate and so the relationship is not clearly identifiable. In that case, an application to add the father's name to the birth certificate may be necessary. You should contact the Registrar General's Department to obtain additional information on the procedure to apply to get this done. I strongly recommend that you apply for expedited service.

The other document that may be submitted are your aunt's marriage certificate or deed poll, if there was a change of name, or if her name is different from the one shown on her birth certificate.

To prove status in Canada, you should submit one of the following - the relative's record of landing; Canadian passport; permanent resident card; citizenship card or certificate.

Proof of residence in Canada is also required. Therefore, you may submit a monthly utility bill; a current notice of assessment or tax returns; lease or rental contract; or a letter from your aunt's employer, confirming her employment.

If your case is not clear and you cannot obtain the necessary documents within the required 60 days, you should provide a letter of explanation so that you do not miss the deadline. If you submit your application without the required proof, and do not provide an explanation, your application will be cancelled.

• Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public. Her areas of practice are immigration, real estate, wills, trusts and estates. Submit your questions to Email: or call 613.695.8777 Find her at: