Delayed, not denied ... Police explain hiccup for 35 recruits
The Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of training Norman Heywood is seeking to assure potential police recruits whose acceptance have been delayed that they will be recalled once the vetting process is completed.
Thirty-five applicants who had been initially called to start training on Sunday, received last minute calls on the weekend informing them not to report to the Police Academy in Twickenham Park near Spanish Town, St Catherine.
Two of the affected recruits told The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre that the police personnel with whom they spoke were unable to provide any reason for the decision to put them on standby.
“They only said it (the instruction) came from higher up and I was no longer suitable to be a member of the JCF,” said one seemingly dejected male applicant.
ACP Heywood, accepting that there was “a miscommunication”, said the acceptance of 35 applicants had been delayed not denied because their antecedents are not yet completed.
“When the process is completed, if they are not suitable then we will tell them face to face,” said ACP Heywood.
He was not immediately able to say when the process would be completed, only saying it should be soon.
“They can all rest assured now that none of them has been rejected,” he added.
One of the applicants who had earlier complained was happy to learn of the development.
However, he maintained that the foul-up has resulted in significant inconveniences since in preparing to start training; he had already resigned his job and spent scare money to buy several required items for applicants going.