Mon | Jul 16, 2018

PICA Corner | How do I cancel my dead father's passport?

Published:Wednesday | June 1, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Q: My father passed away recently, leaving a passport, valid for years to come. Should I take it in to the PICA office for cancellation? He also had a US visa, valid until 2021. Will the US embassy need to cancel it or will PICA do so? Thank you for your assistance.

A: Sorry for your loss. Yes, please take your father's passport in to us for cancellation. We will also allow you to keep the document for posterity if you so desire.

We would not be able to cancel the visa, so you may want to take it in to the US Embassy and ask them to cancel it for you.

Q: I gained my Jamaican citizenship, by descent a while back. However, I seem to have misplaced my citizenship certificate. Is it possible for me to obtain a replacement certificate? If so, please advise me on how I may go about this.

A: Yes, it is possible for you to obtain a replacement certificate. To do so you must provide a letter stating that you are applying for a certified copy of your citizenship certificate. The letter should be addressed to:

The Chief Executive Officer

Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency

25c Constant Spring Road

Kingston 10

The letter should state the name, address and file reference, or certificate number, of the applicant. The applicant is required to state what has happened to the original certificate of citizenship and why the certified copy is required.

The letter should be accompanied by the following original documents:

I. Recent police report on the status of original certificate (should not be older than six months);

II. A certified passport-size photograph of applicant;

III. Parent's photo ID if the application for the certificate is for a minor.

Compliant applications will be processed within 10 working days. The local cost for replacing your citizenship certificate is J$8,000.

PICA reserves the right to request additional and/or updated information during the processing of the application.

Q: Which thumbprint, left or right, must be used and how many places on the form must this be shown?

A: Thumbprints are typically required for persons who are applying for a passport, but are unable to read and write.

In many instances, we use the right thumb. However, persons who are left-handed are free to provide the thumbprint of their left hand.

We typically take the applicant's thumbprint at our offices - either at our headquarters or at any of our outposts - in the presence of a customer service representative.

The applicant is required to provide his thumbprint on two separate occasions on page two of the form, which is the same section where applicants would provide their signature.

For further information, please visit our website at: You may also email queries to: Like us on Facebook at