Steve Lyston | 7 critical factors for nations to address
Below are some critical steps the nation needs to address urgently.
1. Leadership - It is very critical for the leaders of nations today to have a servant-leader quality and style in order to bring real change today; and with the pending US elections, every candidate's style of leadership should be taken into consideration.The leadership of any nation should rely heavily upon Godly instructions and should display true love for the people within a nation.
2. Economic - There will be continued economic instability within the US, the Caribbean and Europe because the wealthy have been allowed to over-exert their authority at the expense of the poor and middle classes. Increase taxes on the rich! In addition to this, there should be no taxes on basic items. General Consumption Tax in countries such as Jamaica should not go above 12 per cent. The banks and their systems have been and continue to be the biggest hindrances to the nation and its growth. Major countries need to begin writing off the debts of smaller countries. Likewise, major companies need to do the same for smaller companies.
3. Security - There are too many doors of access open for potential attacks globally due to improper security practices. Total security is highly unlikely without the Lord, and the root of this issue needs to be dealt with urgently! Security personnel need to be properly screened for any job description.
Therefore, security for land, sea and air transportation must be tighter. More stringency is required to secure the citizens within a nation. There needs to be an up-to-date database with all the ex-service men who left honourably so that they can be re-enlisted in the event of an emergency. There also needs to be more training in security management and disaster preparedness.
4. Health and water - There are so many medications on the market that I believe have been causing serious side effects for over decades. Doctors, nutritionists and lab technicians need to explore the natural things that God Himself made for the benefit of man's continued existence, and He has given us plants that can sometimes be employed to cure us. There are medications that need to be banned from off the market immediately to eliminate fraudulent business activities within this field. More tanks and wells are needed urgently. Instead of focusing on marijuana, the Government needs to focus on the herbs in general and make an effort to see how they can help in healing the nation's people. The focus should be on curing - not on treating. Have a programme where you focus on training more paramedics and first-response personnel. There also needs to be a reduction in the price of drugs to the general public.
BEAUTY AND PURPOSE
5. Agriculture - We need now more than ever to preserve our trees because for too many of their fruits are not given the chance to grow and be part of God's beauty and purpose. The trees help to preserve the environment, provides shelter and shade. There must be more attention given to animals that are butchered for consumption to ensure it is properly done. Focus on the usefulness of local plants is just as important as many of them, such as thyme and sage, for example, can be useful in marinating and preserving meats and fish. Begin to produce more fresh water fish. Also, rent warehouses and store food and water in the event of a disaster. Remove any taxation from food brought in by NGOs (non-governmental organisations) which would not compete with local entities.
6. Global warming - There is the potential for many of natural disasters to occur in certain countries even beyond the ordinary. These countries, will be declaring national crises or states of emergency. Disaster-prone areas should no longer be inhabited by people, and there should be underground domes built in the event of heavy rains resulting in floods. Tsunamis, earthquakes and tornadoes will increase. The disaster-preparedness committees should seriously revisit disaster-prone areas, observing closely the kind of disasters that are inevitable and determining how best to reach the general public and prepare them quickly. There should be at least an hour's training via the radio and television, as well as by phone. This should also be a common focal interest within schools and the workforce.
7. Education - The cost of education to students at all levels must decrease so that the lower and middle classes can complete their studies. Government bodies need to also look into waiving fees for those who are unable to pay until they are working, and have a written agreement - a document or letter of commitment. There needs to be a greater and more active focus on developing the gifts and skills of the youth in the schools. There is the need for more focus on the technical, arts and Montessori schools.
Let us prayerfully seek God's coverage, protection and mercy during the eighth and ninth months.