Tech Times | Huawei GX8
THE HUAWEI GX8 is designed using an all-metal integrated body. Over 90 per cent of the body of the device is constructed with aviation-level aluminum. Borrowing styling cue from the Mate7, it has made significant improvements and places the G8 as a notable contender against traditional smartphone brands.
Powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 chipset, the GX8 doesn’t not aim to be a powerhouse, but the hardware is underutilized. The 5.5” 1920 X 1080 FHD diagonal screen showcases a version of Android Lollipop in rich, realistic colour, which shows images taken with the integrated 13MP BSI camera with breathtaking details. The UI on the G8 uses Huawei’s own EMUI 3.1 utilising Android 5.1.1 and reaps the benefits from Google’s updated software without carrying over its appearance. The interface on the GX8 remains flat without any visual resemblance to Android 5.1.1.
The camera also has optical image stabilization and a large aperture 28MM wide-angle sapphire lens which helps to capture sharp images in challenging conditions. Even though the device has two nano SIM slots, the second slot also doubles SD card reader. A difficult decision has to be made ... using the second slot for a SIM card or a SD card.
The fingerprint ID technology employed on the GX8 is one of the better ones in recent times. Logging into the GX8 takes a fraction of a second, and it read the fingerprint effortlessly each time. Huawei credits this to the non-mental sensor, and large ID area. The sensor can also be used to answer calls or to control alarms.
The GX8 places a lot of emphasis on style, and exceeds in this area. The device’s premium look and feel make it a notable rival and an excellent purchase for those wanting a premium phone without breaking the bank.
- Dual SIM
- Sturdy construction and execution.
- Fingerprint sensor is extremely fast and accurate.
- Active noise cancellation with a dedicated microphone.
- 3000 MAH battery
- 13MP rear facing camera with dual tone LED flash and 1080P video recording.
- Screen is viewable from all angles in direct sunlight.
- The clock does not have analog display support.
- Only on SIM slot can support all network bands. The second slot can only handle 2G.
-Fast adaptive charging not available.
- Fixed battery – cannot be removed by user.
- SIM slots are difficult to open and close.
Written by: Ryan Blake