Bad gas compensation claims reach $25 million
Jovan Johnson, Parliamentary Reporter
Energy Minister Dr Andrew Wheatley has disclosed that compensation claims arising from the bad gas saga have amounted to $25 million.
He was making his contribution to the Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on Tuesday.
Wheatley did not say how many people have filed claims but said the Consumer Affairs Commission is pursuing them.
According to Wheatley, he is disappointed that a committee set up in January did not find the cause for the introduction of contaminated gas on the local market.
But he noted that the committee has identified "gaping holes" in the petroleum industry.
Wheatley said fixing many of the problems will involve new laws and already, the process to create them is underway.
Among the measures being considered is the reestablishment of the petroleum inspection body and the overhauling of the licensing systems in the industry.
Last last year, hundreds of motorists started complaining about vehicle problems after buying gas.
In January, the Bureau of Standards Jamaica said the source of the problem will never be found.
It had ordered the closure of several pumps after the contaminated gas was identified at some facilities.