Mon | Jul 16, 2018

Immigration Corner | What documents will I need?

Published:Tuesday | June 28, 2016 | 12:05 AM

Dear Mr Bassie,

A few weeks ago, you discussed the possibility and eligibility of a person applying to work as a domestic worker in the United Kingdom. I have been offered such a post and I believe that I am eligible. I am hoping that you can give me some further information concerning the documents that I will need to provide when I make my application.

- P.Y.


Dear P.Y.,

When persons apply, they will need to have and provide several items.

They will need to have a current passport or other valid travel identification; show that they have the ability to support themselves during their stay, for example, bank statements or pay slips for the past six months. Persons will have to provide details of where they will be staying and if a return travel booking had been made.

Persons will need to have a blank page in the passport on which to put the visa. They will also need to provide information about the job, including a letter from the employer confirming that they have worked for them in the same job for at least one year; a completed and signed statement of the terms and conditions of employment; a statement from the employer confirming the pay to be at least the United Kingdom national minimum wage while working for them over there.

Persons must also provide one of the following documents covering the same period of employment: pay slips or bank statements showing payment of salary; confirmation of tax paid; confirmation of health insurance paid; contract of employment; and work visa, residence permit or equivalent passport endorsement for the country where currently employed by the employer.

Persons will also need to show visas or equivalent passport endorsement if they have travelled with the employer before and may need to provide additional documents depending on their individual circumstances. Applicants may also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

When persons apply outside of the United Kingdom, they must make their application online for this visa. Applicants will need to have their fingerprints and photograph, known as 'biometric information', taken at a visa application centre as part of the application.

It should be noted that persons can only apply for a visa extension if they are currently domestic workers who have a private household visa for less than six months, and if already over there, unless the application for the first visa was before April 5, 2012. Also, applications for extensions should be made before the current visa expires and persons must continue to meet the eligibility criteria of the original visa.

Just for completeness, persons can only stay six months with a domestic worker's visa in a private household . However, persons can only apply for an extension so that the total is six months if the original visa was for less than six months. The cost is £811 if the application to extend the visa is done by post or £1,311 if the application is made in person.

- John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (UK).