Thu | Oct 19, 2017

Three of eight suspected Guillain-Barre syndrome cases test negative for Zika

Published:Tuesday | June 28, 2016 | 1:41 PM

The Health Ministry has so far ruled out any connection to the Zika virus in three of eight suspected cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS).

With the rise of the number of confirmed Zika cases, there have been concerns about GBS, which has been linked with the virus.

However, Chief Medical Officer,  Dr Winston De La Haye says while three of the cases have been confirmed as GBS, they are not linked to Zika.

 

Acting Chief Medical Officer, Dr Winston De La Haye

De La Haye says GBS is a neurological disorder that can be tested and treated at any hospital across the island.