Thu | Aug 24, 2017

BITU lashes gov't, OCG over Royalton issues

Published:Monday | July 4, 2016 | 7:35 PM
Local Government Minister Desmond McKenzie and other officials at the Royalton construction site

The Bustamante Industrial Trade Union (BITU) is accusing the government of showing little regard for the plight of some 500 construction workers at the Royalton Construction site in Negril, Hanover. 

The BITU and the National Workers' Union (NWU) are representing construction workers who earlier this year protested for better wages and improved working conditions earlier this year.

BITU vice president Alden Brown says it’s been almost a month since the BITU and the NWU on behalf of the Royalton workers wrote to the Office of the Contractor General, the Labour Ministry and the Ministry of Economic Growth.

But Brown says the trade unions have not heard anything from the ministries or the contractor general’s office.

He says the government's refusal to intervene shows a scant regard for the "underpaid" construction workers. 

 

BITU vice president Alden Brown

Brown also says the BITU and the NWU want basic insurance and other benefits for the Royalton construction workers.

 

BITU vice president Alden Brown

The Royalton construction site has been attracting increased attention since the collapse of a section of a building injuring five workers.

Since then workers have staged two protests demanding better wages, better working conditions and timely payment of wages.

The workers have also protested the firing of some of their colleagues who were reportedly encouraging others to join the BITU and the NWU.