320 Jamaicans denied entry to Trinidad and Tobago last year - gov't
Jovan Johnson, Parliamentary Reporter
Approximately 320 Jamaicans were denied entry into Trinidad and Tobago last year, a figure Jamaica says is of significant concern.
This compares with the two Trinidad and Tobago nationals who were denied entry into Jamaica over the similar period.
Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Minister Kamina Johnson Smith disclosed the data during a sitting of the Senate this morning.
She also revealed that between January and June this year, Trinidadian authorities denied entry to 230 Jamaicans and were on track to deny up to two percent of Jamaicans who sought entry.
But Johnson Smith said the trend is changing following the intervention of the Jamaican government.
The government was forced to act following the refusal of entry to almost a dozen Jamaicans in March.
A Caribbean Community report had criticised Trinidad for not reporting the matter to the regional body.
Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley is due in Jamaica on Sunday for a four-day visit as part of efforts to resolve the immigration issues between the two nations.
In 2015, some 12,000 people from Trinidad and Tobago were allowed in Jamaica.
For the same year, 16,826 Jamaicans were allowed into Trinidad and Tobago.