Thu | Oct 19, 2017

Crime-fighting to get $1b boost from Tourism Ministry

Published:Wednesday | July 20, 2016 | 9:18 AM
Bartlett said the $1 billion will be disbursed over the next four years and will help to improve technology and aid in gathering intelligence to track and apprehend criminals across the island.

Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett has announced that his ministry will contribute $1 billion to the Ministry of National Security to assist with crime fighting across the island.

Bartlett made the announcement yesterday at the graduation ceremony for 89 district constables who graduated from the new District Constable Training Programme, at the National Police College of Jamaica in Twickenham Park, St Catherine.

Bartlett said the funds will be disbursed over the next four years and will help to improve technology and aid in gathering intelligence to track and apprehend criminals across the island.

Bartlett also said the technology will help to rid the country of corruption in the police force.

Meanwhile, 50 of the 89 district constables who graduated from the District Constable Training Programme yesterday will be deployed in Negril, while others have been assigned to other tourists towns such as Montego Bay, Falmouth, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio and New Kingston.

The Tourism Minister said the constables have been specifically trained to deal with visitor safety and security concerns.

The deployment of the constables to resort towns is part of a commitment given by the government to boost the security presence in tourist towns across the island following the murder of a Canadian tourist in Negril last month.