Thu | Aug 24, 2017

Sweet music for two more schools

Published:Wednesday | July 27, 2016 | 7:00 AM
Peter Lindo, head of marketing at First Global Bank.
Don Wehby, chief executive officer of the GraceKennedy Group of Companies, and Mariame McIntosh Robinson, CEO of First Global Bank, have collectively confirmed the resumption of the Music, Perfect Pitch for a Sound Education programme.
1
2

Many more children are to benefit from the Music, Perfect Pitch for a Sound Education programme being undertaken in 13 primary schools across five parishes by First Global Bank, in partnership with the Ministry of Education (MOE).

GraceKennedy Group CEO Don Wehby said the music programme had been a tremendous success over the past five years and is promising that it will be bigger and better this year.

"I have been given a resumption timeline for September. We are really excited about the programme, as much as the teachers and students are.

"The programme has been having a significant impact on the students and their grades, which is remarkable," said Wehby, adding that Music Day, Math Adventure Day and the Master Mind Quiz Competition, which all form part of the overall programme, will also continue.

Head of marketing at First Global Bank (FGB), Peter Lindo, said for the 2016-17 school year, two more schools would be added to the programme. Although declining to divulge the names of the schools at this stage, Lindo gave the assurance that the names would be revealed in August.

Earlier this year, First Global Bank underwent internal changes, which put the project briefly on hold.

" I expect us to get back on track, certainly for the next school term. I have already discussed it with my senior executive team and we are committed to making it happen," Wehby said, while confirming that two new schools would be added to the programme.

Said Wehby: "I expect us to resume by September in a bigger and better way. This programme fits in well with the GraceKennedy corporate social responsibility mantra on focusing on education and sports."

Meanwhile, FGB CEO Mariame McIntosh Robinson credited the programme, the Ministry of Education and her staff for expertly executing it over the past five years.

"The programme will continue. We will have no change. Personally and professionally, I believe in supporting and investing in education. We can't just rely on a few stakeholders in society. I believe all, including the private sector, need to invest in education because of its long-term benefits," said McIntosh Robinson.

Senior education officer in the MOE, Marlon Williams, added, "I am pleased that the project will continue and that two other schools will be added come September."