Wed | Mar 21, 2018

Immigration Corner | Seeking a new life

Published:Tuesday | August 9, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Dear Ms Powell,

I am a professional in Jamaica. I'm turning 30 next month and need to get out of Jamaica and start a new life. I have been working hard and saving. I've even sold my car and taking the bus, as I want the change badly. I heard you speak in Jamaica and I made detailed notes of what you said I need to do. I did the language exam and I have an educational assessment report. My Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) scores are not very high, but I heard that if a province nominates me that my score could increase dramatically. How do I go about getting a provincial nominee? It doesn't matter to me which province. Which province has the fewest immigrants? I would apply to that province as I just need a new life for myself and my son, outside of Jamaica. How long would this take? The sooner, the better.

- Anonymous


Dear Anonymous,

Canada has 10 provinces and three territories that you can explore for opportunities. The latest statistics show that in 2014 Canada welcomed approximately 260,000 immigrants; with Nunavut, Yukon and the Northwest Territories receiving the least number of immigrants. I must caution you that those are the coldest areas with unusual weather patterns, long days and nights. New Foundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan and Manitoba also showed low immigrant intake and the weather in these provinces is not so extreme.

Most, but not all provinces/ territories have the provincial nominee programme (PNP) and each has its own rules and regulations. The key to note is that the rules are subject to change at any time and the application process varies. Some applications may be made electronically and others are paper-based.

The following provinces have the programme and details are outlined on their websites: Alberta, British, Manitoba, New, Newfoundland, Territories, Nova, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, Yukon.

You should note that the PNP is designed to assist employers who are having difficulty recruiting certain qualified, skilled workers to fill certain approved positions. The website will outline the list of occupations that the provinces are looking for at this time. You will also find out if they are accepting applications now or when they will resume accepting applications.




All applications must be sent directly to the province that you are interested in, detailing your qualifications, along with information which demonstrates that you intend to settle and be productive in the province of choice.

The province will review your application to ensure that you satisfy certain criteria as outlined on their website. If you qualify under their programme, you will be provided with a Provincial Nominee Certificate.

Once you have been nominated by a province or territory you will need the Provincial Nomination Certificate to submit via the express entry system. This is the process established by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for application for permanent resident status. This is another step and you will need the following:

1. A letter from all your past employers showing details of your work experience;

2. Proof of finances, and be able to demonstrate that you have enough money to establish yourself in the particular province;

3. A medical test;

4. A criminal record report from all countries that you have resided for six months or more.

5. Any other document that is requested by IRCC.

6. Processing fee.

If you have satisfied all the above, submitted all the required documents, passed your medical and security tests, your application is usually processed within six months and you and applicable family members could be in Canada in less than a year.

On a different note; you sound as if you are running from something in Jamaica. I urge you to deal with the issues before your departure, as you may put a physical distance between you and the problem, but remain emotionally tied to whatever you are running away from. Consider talking to a professional to ensure that you are able to make a clean break, if you are granted permanent residence in Canada.

- Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars, with main office located in Ottawa, Ontario. Her areas of practice are in Immigration, Personal Injury, Family and Administration of Estates and Commercial Law. She is on the roster of Mediators for Ottawa, Toronto and the Dispute Resolution Foundation of Jamaica. Email: Subject line: Immigration