Sun | Aug 19, 2018

PICA Corner | How do I apply for an extension for a minor?

Published:Wednesday | August 17, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Q: I have a question regarding extending my daughter's visit. She landed in Jamaica on February 13, 2016 and is staying with her grandma. She is a US citizen and her stay was for three months in the country; however, she has a ticket to return on August 25, 2016. I would like to know, how can she get her stay extended to that time and is there a fee? I currently reside in the US. How can it be done from my location?

A: The three-month stay initially granted to your daughter upon her arrival here in Jamaica on February 13, 2016 would have expired on May 12, 2016. This means that as of that date, your daughter would have been in breach of our immigration regulations as she has overstayed her time on the island. She should have applied to have her time extended formally at the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA).

To extend her time, you would need to provide her grandmother with a letter granting her permission to apply, on your behalf, for an extension of stay for your daughter. The letter must identify you by name, as the parent granting permission, and you must also provide a copy of your ID signed by a notary public or justice of the peace, whichever applies in your country of residence.

The grandmother would need to visit our office in either Kingston or Montego Bay and complete an extension of stay form. She would need to take along her ID and the child's passport and return ticket when applying.

Note, however, that the consequence for overstaying is deportation; but on humanitarian grounds, a fine of $50,000 may be imposed and would allow your daughter the freedom to apply for an extension of her stay.

The cost for extension of stay is $10,000. Upon payment of the fine, her grandmother may proceed with applying for the extension, which is typically processed within three working days.

In future, to avoid incurring such expense, please ensure that any request for an extension of stay in Jamaica is made prior to the expiration of the time granted by the immigration officer at the port of entry.

n For further information, visit our website at: For enquiries please write to: Like our Facebook page at