Fri | Aug 18, 2017

Opposition claims another GBS death, no word yet from Health Ministry

Published:Friday | September 2, 2016 | 9:18 PM
Opposition Spokesman on Heath, Horace Dalley

The Opposition Spokesman on Health Horace Dalley is claiming that a sixth person has died from the Guillian-Barre Syndrome (GBS).

Dalley’s claim comes three days after he unveiled that a 78-year-old man died from GBS at the Kingston Public Hospital.

The Health Ministry was initially unaware of the death, but has since confirmed it.

In a statement this morning, Dalley said another patient has died but did not give any details regarding the age, gender or parish of the deceased.

Neither the chief medical officer, Dr. Winston De La Haye nor Health Minister, Dr. Christopher Tufton, could be reached for a comment up to news time.

GBS is a disorder in which the body's immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system, resulting in general muscle weakness and tingling in the legs.

So far,  there has been 20 cases of GBS in Jamaica.

The health ministry says it has allocated some $100 million to treat GBS islandwide.