Christie criticises MOCA for not investigating PNP campaign donation scandal
Former contractor general, Greg Christie, is criticising the Major Organisation Crime and Anti-Corruption Agency (MOCA) for saying it has not been investigating the campaign donation scandal rocking the People’s National Party (PNP) because it has not been invited to.
Head of MOCA, Colonel Desmond Edwards, reportedly told RJR News that he has been monitoring the situation but MOCA cannot just barge in and try and impose itself on the process.
He said it would be worthwhile for the agency to be invited to participate in a probe.
However, speaking through his Twitter account, Christie quoted an FBI head in the United States who said corruption has to be looked for as it doesn’t just walk through the door.
He also said it was reinforced at an anti-corruption training nine years ago in Switzerland that all allegations must be investigated.
Christie said investigators cannot wait for the facts of the case to be neatly laid out in front of them.
Christie’s comments this morning followed an announcement that the office he once led has launched a probe into the donations scandal.
The PNP says on Monday evening personnel from the Office of the Contractor General and the police turned up at the party's head offices and served summonses on senior PNP member Dr Omar Davies and PNP General Secretary Paul Burke to answer questions under oath as part of the probe.
Davies went public last week rejecting suggestions he said were made by Burke that it's an established practice for Chinese investors to pay kickbacks to government officials.
Davies accused Burke of claiming that it is customary for large Chinese firms to pay agent fees ranging from one per cent to one point five per cent of the total project cost.