Sat | Aug 19, 2017

No progress in bad gas compensation fund talks – minister

Published:Wednesday | September 7, 2016 | 9:41 AM

Energy Minister Dr Andrew Wheatley says there’s still no progress in getting marketing companies to contribute to a compensation fund to help persons affected in the bad gas saga.

Wheatley says the marketing companies remain reluctant to respond to the government’s appeal.

 

Energy Minister, Dr. Andrew Wheatley

The government has been engaging petroleum marketing companies on the matter of compensation after Wheatley disclosed in Parliament, in June, that compensation claims arising from the bad gas saga amounted to $25 million.

Late last year, several motorists started to complain about vehicle problems after buying bad gas from retailers.

A committee set-up by government in January investigated the matter and delivered a report in April indicating that it could not find the cause of the bad gas.

Aspects of the report were shared publicly by the government, but the full document has not been released.

Wheatley told The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre that work is advanced on implementing some of the recommendations contained in the report adding that the full report will be made public shortly.