PC questions Zika spending
With the parish of St Catherine recording an increase in confirmed and suspected cases of the Zika virus, Deputy Mayor of the St Catherine Parish Council Ralston Wilson is questioning the $1 billion reported by the Ministry of Health for Zika-related expenditures.
Speaking at the monthly meeting of the council on Thursday, Wilson said that he had not seen any of that money spent to deal with Zika-prevention initiatives in the parish.
"I want the honourable minister of health to come to this council and tell us what is being done now to alleviate the Zika virus that is affecting the people in the parish and expectant mothers more than anybody else," Wilson stated.
The deputy mayor was supported by Mayor Norman Scott, who told The Gleaner that the massive campaign orchestrated by the council to deal with chik-V had not been matched, up to this point, by the health ministry as it relates to the Zika virus.
"So far, I have not seen where even a small fraction of that $1 billion was spent in St Catherine," Scott said.
He said he was extremely concerned about the increase in the number of confirmed and suspected cases in the parish and the impact it would have on the citizens.
The St Catherine Health Department has reported that there are 10 confirmed cases and 393 suspected cases out of a total of 673 that were submitted for analysis