ODPEM readies for full-response mode; issues last minute tips
As Hurricane Matthew approaches, the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) gets ready to intensify its response to Level Three.
Level Three means a full response has been activated.
The ODPEM is urging Jamaicans to take the hurricane warning seriously and to adequately prepared for the effects of Hurricane Matthew. It says people living in flood-prone areas should evacuate.
Here are a few last-minute tips:
1. Ensure zinc sheeted roofs are properly fastened and to check hurricane shutters, hooks, latches and repair where necessary
2. Keep in stock extra plastic bags and sheets of plastic to prevent important documents, paintings, equipment and furniture from getting wet
3. Trim trees that touch power lines or hang over buildings
4. Make sure that emergency cooking facilities such as coal stoves are in good working condition
5. Store extra food, especially things that can be eaten without cooking or which need very little preparation
6. Have emergency supplies in your home to include water boots, raincoats, flashlights, batteries, portable radio, kerosene lamps, matches and the necessary medical supplies.
Persons my contact the National Emergency Operation Centre at 906-9674-5 or 754- 9077-8.