Wed | Mar 21, 2018

Ask The Doc | Too much fighting at home

Published:Tuesday | October 11, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Q:My 15-year-old brother has decided to go and live with our grandmother because of the fights at home with our parents. Grandma does not have much, but is afraid to say no. How can I convince him to come back home?

A:Your parents need to speak with your brother and explain to him the financial issues that may surround his stay with his grandmother. Your parents also need to get some counselling support to resolve their own problems. Pray for them and let them know that you want them to stop arguing and to resolve their problems.

Q:My cousin, who is 12, literally runs his mother's home. He goes to the supermarket, tells the other siblings ages nine and six - what to do in the house, such as cleaning and washing. He helps, too. His mother does 'days' work from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. three days a week, and any other day she gets. I think it is unfair to him. Is it wrong for me to talk to his mother?

A:You may speak with his mother and encourage her to be more responsible for her household. It is okay for your cousin to help, but not too much. You may recommend that on the days that she does not work that she may plan to get most of the larger household chores done to lessen the stress on the children.

Q:My supervisor works at one school close to home and allows his child to go to another school many miles away. He can get the child into this school if he wants to. He always has money problems. Is it okay for me to share with him the additional cost of his child's transportation that may be adding to his burden?

A:Your supervisor may have a valid reason for this plan for a different school. As an adult, it is quite appropriate for you to be concerned about your colleague. If you decide to share your concerns, please do so in a very private area.

 - Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to 'Ask the Doc', c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!