Tue | Aug 22, 2017

Police: No permit will be granted for reputed gangster's wake

Published:Friday | October 21, 2016 | 10:53 PM
Men carrying out work on a wall along Maxfield Avenue on Thursday in preparation for a wake for Robert Davis, otherwise called ‘Rodigan’. - Jermaine Barnaby photo

The St Andrew South police say no permit will be granted to persons wishing to hold a wake for reputed gangster Robert Davis, who was killed in the US last weekend.

Davis, who is otherwise called Rodigan, was said to be the main financier of the Rat Bat and Sunlight Street gangs in the Maxfield Avenue area of Kingston.

He was shot and killed during a dispute at a Jamaican restaurant in Los Angeles, California last week.

Davis’ family and friends are seeking to hold a wake in his honour on Maxfield Avenue next Sunday.

However, head of the St Andrew South division Senior Superintendent Arthur Brown says the police have not received any application for a permit for a wake.

He also says the police have no intention of granting a permit as the wake could be used to carry out reprisal attacks.

 

Head of St. Andrew South Division, SSP Arthur Brown

Since the murder of Davis, the Police High Command have said they received intelligence that persons loyal to him have been planning to carry out reprisals on members of another local gang they believe are responsible for his death overseas.