Gov't to pursue 'video record witnesses' suggestion
Justice Minister Delroy Chuck says the government will be pursuing the suggestion made by former deputy commissioner of police Mark Shields to video record witness statements for use as evidence in courts.
Chuck says his ministry will also be equipping at least 70 courts with audio-visual devices so that activities taking place there will be properly recorded.
This initiative is a part of a wider programme to modernise the justice system.
The discussion resurfaced after the main witness in the so-called X6 murder trial, taxi operator Wayne Wright, denied aspects of a statement that was previously given by him.
Wright had acknowledged giving a statement to police investigators on July 5, 2011.
However, when aspects of the statement were read back to him in court he said they were not true.