Local Government debates set for November 16, 23
The Local Government debates have been settled for Wednesday November 16 and Wednesday November 23.
The Jamaica Debates Commission announced the dates today after a meeting with representatives of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) and the People’s National Party (PNP) ahead of the November 28 Local Government Election.
The debates will be broadcast live will from the Creative Production and Training Centre starting at 9 o'clock in the evening on both days.
The debaters will comprise three-member teams from the PNP and the JLP.
The first debate will focus on:
1. Policy visions for local government
4. Appropriate governance structures and processes
5. Funding models for local governments and municipalities
The second debate will focus on current local government issues:
1. Street lighting
2. Minor water supply systems
3. Local disaster preparedness
4. Public health issues
5. Town and country planning
6. Enforcement issues
7. Street cleaning
9. Markets and beach management.
Commission chairman Noel daCosta says he is satisfied with the "steady pace of progress" being made for the debates.
He also said both parties have been constructive in the process.
This is the second time the Jamaica Debates Commission is staging local government debates.