Mon | Jul 16, 2018

Police backtrack ... confirm cop in damning viral video worked in east Kingston

Published:Tuesday | November 22, 2016 | 11:28 AM

The Police High Command has backtracked on a statement it made yesterday saying ex-cop Tyrone Brown never worked in the East Kingston police division.

The high command had denied that the ex-cop worked in East Kingston after he made several allegations about corrupt activities perpetrated by the senior cops in that division.

In a statement yesterday, the police high command rejected the assertions as malicious and libelous.

It also said its records revealed that Tyrone Brown never worked in East Kingston.

But in another statement released this morning, the police changed its story.

It said Tyrone Brown enlisted in the constabulary in 1999.

The police said during his tenure he served the Motorised Patrol, Mobile Reserve, the Special Anti-Crime Task Force and the Kingston Eastern Divisions.

The police say the ex-cop also worked at the Area 4 Police Headquarters.

READ: Police High Command refutes claims by ex-cop (Full statement)

The development comes as a video posted on social media by the ex-cop continues to go viral.

In the video, Brown makes several allegations of corruption and criminality.

Meanwhile, the police say all the members named in the video have since instructed their attorneys to institute civil action against Mr Brown.

Brown was involved with other policemen in an incident that took place in Clarendon in 2004. 

He struck a deal with investigators and became a witness for the prosecution.

As a result, he was placed on the Witness Protection Programme and relocated to a Caribbean country.

His family was also relocated by the Government.

The cases were tried and the members of the police force acquitted of murder and later reinstated in the force.

Meanwhile, there is no word yet from the police high command on the bungling in detailing the employment history of ex-cop Tyrone Brown in the force.

Repeated attempts were not successful in reaching JCF Communications Officer, Superintendent Stephanie Lindsay and Head of the Criminal Investigation Branch, ACP Ealan Powell.

The cell phones of both cops rang and went to voicemail.