Sun | Jul 22, 2018

Ask the doc | 'These children have some bad habits'

Published:Wednesday | November 23, 2016 | 12:00 AM


Q I am tired of picking up after the children I work for. Their parents are the same. How can I help the children to change?

A Ask the parents if they will help you to change the bad habits of the children by rewarding them when they do the right things. If not, you can reward them with positive statements and treats where available.

Q I need to know if a psychologist is really qualified. How can I find this out?

A You can contact the Jamaican Psychological Society and ask if the person is licensed to practice in Jamaica. All psychologists must now be licensed or they will not be recognised in Jamaica.

Q At 17, I am in college and bored. There is no challenge here.

A As this is only your first semester, it will seem pretty easy, but the more challenging work is on its way. Get involved with a club and have fun until you are further challenged.

• Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to 'Ask the Doc', c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!