Fri | Jan 19, 2018

Four college students to get education grant

Published:Wednesday | November 23, 2016 | 12:00 AM
Jackson Miller

The Press Association of Jamaica is partnering with Digicel for the provision of education grants to assist communications students at the island's universities.

Public relations executive at Digicel Jamaica Marion Carter announced at the Press Association of Jamaica's (PAJ) Issues Forum at the Jamaica Pegasus on Monday night that Digicel will be financing four education grants, valued at $50,000 each, for final year college students. One grant each will be awarded to a student at the University of Technology, Northern Caribbean University, and the Kingston and Montego Bay campuses of the University of the West Indies.

"We know that there are a lot of university students who are struggling," said PAJ President Dionne Jackson Miller. "The PAJ sees this as a way to help the next generation of media professionals, many of whom have already invested significantly in their education, and who would welcome just that little extra help."

"This is an initiative that's very important to me, and that I've wanted to put in place ever since I became president of the PAJ. Elon Parkinson was the first person I mentioned it to, and he was immediately interested. I'm delighted that Digicel was able to share my vision."

Applications for the grants open during National Journalism Week, November 20-26 and will close on January 6, 2017.

Applicants must be final year students enrolled in a communications studies programme at the University of the West Indies, the University of Technology or Northern Caribbean University.

They must be passing their courses with at least a B average or its equivalent in the current course of study. They must also be student members of the PAJ.

Applicants must submit the following: a cover letter, a rÈsumÈ, proof of academic status, two letters of recommendation at least one of which must be from a lecturer, and a 750-word essay on The role of Media in National Development.

Applications are to be submitted to the PAJ.