Fri | Sep 21, 2018

Ask the Doc | Can I sue a school?

Published:Wednesday | November 30, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Q: Is there a law that we can use to sue schools when they do not provide correct treatment for children who have been traumatised ? I am tired of this now.

A: The first thing you should do is ensure that the information about poor treatment is correct. Most schools refer cases that they cannot handle to psychologists and psychiatrists. We can only hope that the school counsellors get continuous training as needed.

Q: My husband is about to sue a medical doctor who misdiagnosed a mental problem that our child has. He gave her medication that caused her to stare for hours on end. Can we sue?

A: A medical doctor usually prescribes medication based on the information that he or she is given. Many medicines have side effects. The best thing to do when you see a bad effect that may be caused my medication is to go back to the doctor.

Q: I am tired of all the child rape that I am seeing. I work at a health facility. Am I getting to burnout stage?

A: You may be at the burnout stage now and may need some rest and therapy before returning to work. Discuss this concern with your supervisor.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to 'Ask the Doc', c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!