Wed | May 23, 2018

How an alleged rape suspect escaped from the Waterford Police Station

Published:Monday | December 5, 2016 | 12:26 PM
The 14-year-old girl was on her way home off Maxfield Avenue in St Andrew when she was reportedly captured at knife point by the men and taken in a car to Portmore where she was reportedly raped.

Damion Mitchell, Editor - Radio & Online

A relative of a 14-year-old girl who was last night allegedly raped by two men in Portmore, St Catherine is demanding a high-level probe into the escape of one of the suspects from police custody.

According the aunt of the 14-year-old girl, she witnessed the escape of the suspect while being escorted into the Waterford Police Station shortly after he was picked up by two policemen.

She said the cops have explained that they were not aware that the handcuffs being used were defective.

"If I knew that was the plan, I could have stopped him myself," she said.

The 14-year-old girl was on her way home off Maxfield Avenue in St Andrew when she was reportedly captured at knife point by the men and taken in a car to Portmore.

The Gleaner is not able to name the aunt of the 14-year-old girl in order to protect the identity of the victim.

However, the woman said she rushed to the Waterford Police Station sometime after 6 o’clock last evening after receiving a call that her  niece had just been raped by two men.

According to the aunt, who is a nurse by training, when she arrived at the Waterford Police Station, her niece was not there.

But she said almost immediately after, a police vehicle arrived with her niece in the front passenger seat and the suspect and a cop in the back seat.

She said they all got out of the vehicle and as the cops reached the entrance to the door with the suspect he turned and ran away.

"In a station him (the suspect) deh enuh and them make him get away," she said.


The aunt of a 14-year-old alleged rape victim

She said the police gave chase and shortly after, two policemen left the station in a vehicle in pursuit of suspect, but she had no confidence they would catch him.

"Oh please, you think he is going to stand up somewhere for them to find him back?" she questioned.

She also said the Waterford Police failed to explain how they could have used a defective handcuff to restrain a suspect in a case of abduction and rape.


The aunt of a 14-year-old alleged rape victim

The aunt raised concern too, that the police transported the suspect in the same vehicle as the alleged rape victim.

The police reportedly picked up the suspect at the house where the rape allegedly took place after the child directed them to location.


The aunt of a 14-year-old alleged rape victim

The matter has since been taken over by the Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse.

This morning, efforts to speak with the commanding officer for the St Catherine South Police, Senior Superintendent Robert Bennett, were not successful.

The zone commander who was in charge of the Waterford Police last night could not be immediately contacted either.

The head of the Inspectorate of the Constabulary Assistant Commissioner Wray Palmer said he was only just being informed of the incident when he received the call from The Gleaner.

However, he promised to launch an immediate investigation.

Palmer has also appealed to witnesses to come forward to tell the inspectorate what they saw.

"We will compile the case file, we will review what we have and we will see where we go from there in terms of the evidence that we will gather," he promised.

He also said there were concerns about the reports that the suspect and the victim were transported in the same vehicle, but declined to offer detailed comments saying there first had to be an investigation.