Fri | Aug 17, 2018

Immigration Corner | I want to be trained in the UK

Published:Tuesday | December 6, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Dear Mr Bassie,

I intend to pursue a two-month training course in the United Kingdom. I would like to know whether I will need to apply for a standard student visa.

- TY

Dear TY,

It is not necessary for you to apply for a standard student visa. However, you need one if you are an academic visitor.

Persons can apply for a short-term study visa if: they are doing a short course of study in the United Kingdom; if they are from outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland; and if they meet the other eligibility requirements.

For persons to meet the eligibility requirement, they must prove that they have been offered a place in a course in the United Kingdom at an accepted place of study; have enough money to support themselves without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends are able to support and house them; they can pay for their return or onward journey.

If persons are under 18 years of age, they must also have made arrangements for their travel and stay in the United Kingdom; and have permission from their parent or guardian to study over there. Also, prior to making an application, a person must be accepted on a course with an education provider that holds a Tier 4 Sponsor Licence.

If a person is successful in applying, he/she can: do a short course of study in the United Kingdom, such as an English language course or a training course; or do a short period of research as part of a degree course if they are studying there.

However, persons cannot: study at a state school; work, including on a work placement or work experience, or carry out any business; extend this visa; bring family members - 'dependents'- with them, as they must make a separate application; or get public funds.

The successful applicant will be able to stay in the United Kingdom for six months for any short course, including English language courses; or a short period of research if he/she is 18 years old; or over 11 months, if the applicant is at least 18 years and taking an English language course.

The cost for the application is £89 for a six-month visa and £170 for an 11-month visa. Persons can apply for a visa up to three months before their date of travel to the United Kingdom and should get a decision on the visa application within three weeks. However, this processing time may vary depending on the country from where the application originated.

- John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (UK). Email: