Wed | Oct 18, 2017

Govt, Opposition to hold further talks on de-bushing programme

Published:Wednesday | December 14, 2016 | 9:48 AM

The Government and the Opposition are to hold further talks on the controversial multimillion-dollar de-bushing programme.

Prime Minister Andrew Holness yesterday met with Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller and other members of the Opposition on the matter.

Opposition member Julian Robinson, says during the meeting, the Simpson Miller team received clarification on some issues but it remains concerned about how the de-bushing programme was implemented.

 

Opposition Member and PNP General Secretary, Julian Robinson

In a statement yesterday, the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) described the meeting as productive.

It said Prime Minister Holness explained the elements of the $548 million programme and informed the Opposition of changes which will see the remainder of the funds being used exclusively to address cleaning the island’s drains.

It further said Prime Minister Holness instructed the National Works Agency to share its template of priorities with all Members of Parliament so that they are fully up to date with the drain cleaning initiative.

Last week, Opposition members walked out of the Parliament after failing to get a commitment that the Prime Minister would address their concerns about the de-bushing programme said to have been implemented only in constituencies represented by Jamaica Labour Party MPs.