Sun | Oct 21, 2018

Ask the Doc | She cannot get along with co-workers

Published:Tuesday | December 20, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Q: My mother is a problem on the job. She is always in constant arguments with her supervisors. We have to go there and wait on her after school, and it is uncomfortable. Should we tell her that we are uncomfortable?

A: You may share this concern with your mother. Wait until you are at home and she is in a good mood to do so.

Q: I heard about a father who attempted suicide at home and the 10-year-old twins found him and called for help. Do you think they should get counselling?

A: It is very important that the children receive counselling and that the father and the family are provided with counselling and other support services as well.

Q: My mother has been diagnosed as severely depressed. My father wants to send her to our aunt in Canada for treatment. I think we have adequate facilities here in Jamaica. Can you recommend a place where we can send her here in Jamaica?

A: The recommendation would be based on the official diagnosis. Please speak with your mother's psychiatrist and he/she will make a recommendation.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!