Sat | Jan 20, 2018

Ask the doc | 'I was not obeahed'

Published:Tuesday | December 27, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Q:I had a terrible experience with a guidance counsellor. She told me that my family member reported to her that it was because I was obeahed why my child has a learning problem. I had to tell her that my child was in a car accident and had hit her head. I was upset and reported her to the principal. Was I wrong?

A:It is important that a guidance counsellor interviews the parents and/or caregivers of a child before a decision is made about providing help for a child. I am sure that the guidance counsellor has learned her lesson and we hope that such a situation will not occur again.

Q: How can I convince my husband that drawing cartoons can be a profitable profession for my child?

A: You can guide your husband to information that shows how cartoons can be a lucrative career. You child can also use his/her artistic skills for other endeavours.

Q: My husband is no respecter of money. I earn three times what he earns and he does not even want to wash the car or mow the lawn. My children, who are in their teens, are frustrated with his behaviour. How do I get them not to be angry at him?

A: You should let your husband know that you need to follow a budget. Stick to it and ignore his pleas. Encourage your children to follow the budget so that the family can save more.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to 'Ask the Doc', c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always.