Sun | Sep 23, 2018

Immigration Corner | Can my dad sponsor me?

Published:Tuesday | December 27, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Dear Ms Powell,

My father lives in Montreal, Canada. Can he sponsor me to go to Canada? My mother has been talking to him about sponsoring me, and they were saying that Quebec is an easier province to apply to. Is this true? Can you tell me what we need to do?

- P.P.


Dear P.P.,

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor a dependent child to come to Canada provided that both the father and the child can satisfy the requirements as stipulated by the Canadian authorities.

The sponsorship application is a three-step process. This means that your father must satisfy the requirements to sponsor you as a dependent by first submitting an application to the government of Canada, then submitting an undertaking application to the government of Quebec. Last, you will need to satisfy the requirements to become a permanent resident.

After your father pays the requisite fee and submits an application to the government of Canada, he will need to submit his application in the province in which he resides, in this case, Quebec, and be able to satisfy their requirements. Your father would need to complete the necessary sponsorship application forms and submit all supporting documents to prove that he is financially capable of supporting you.




As a part of the application process, your father will need to undertake to be responsible for you financially and that you will not become a financial burden to Canada. He will need to be evaluated to see if he has the financial ability to take on this responsibility. If you have a dependent child, ensure that the child's information is also submitted in the application.

Your father's application will be successful if he is able to satisfy the minimum income requirements as outlined in the Quebec table of basic income required of the sponsor to satisfy his own family unit's basic needs. This is available on the province's website and is updated annually.

This is based on the number of persons residing with him or for whom he is responsible whether or not they live with him. Your father must prove that he has an annual income that is at least equal to the minimum necessary income to support himself, his family members, and you, the person he is sponsoring, and your family member.

Other requirements are that your father has not been sponsored by someone else to become a permanent resident within the past five years. Other important factors are: that he should not be receiving social assistance, unless for the reason of disability, nor should he have recently been declared bankrupt, have a criminal record or defaulted on child-support payments pursuant to a court order.

If your father is not financially capable of sponsoring you on his own, he may also have a co-sponsor. The key is that your sponsor or co-sponsors must prove that they can provide for their own family as well as you.

Once your father satisfies the requirements to be a sponsor, the next step is to ensure your eligibility. All the necessary forms and supporting documents will need to be submitted. You will need to complete and submit an application for a selection certificate form. You will also be required to do medical and criminal checks.

You did not state your age, however, you should note that no province in Canada has provisions for people to sponsor independent adult children. Your father can sponsor you and your dependents if you are all less than 19 years old and single. If you are over 19 years old, you will need to prove that you are substantially dependent on your father owing to a physical or mental disability.

If you are over 19 years old and not eligible for sponsorship, you should consult with an immigration lawyer to explore other immigration options, such as the express entry system.

- Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars, with main office located in Ottawa, Ontario. Email: . Subject: Immigration Tel: 613.695.8777