Education Ministry sticking to position on Hampton principal's leave
Education Minister Ruel Reid is sticking to his position that a decision to have embattled Hampton School principal Heather Murray take two weeks’ leave was made with her agreement.
Murray has been embroiled in controversy in the wake of backlash over her attendance at the bail hearing of Moravian pastor, Rupert Clarke, who is accused of having sex with a minor.
Reid had stated that the decision that Murray should go on leave was mutually arrived at during a meeting last week involving the ministry, Hampton school stakeholders and Murray.
However, both Murray and Hampton board chairman, Trevor Blake have since refuted his statement, saying no such agreement was reached.
Murray has continued her duties at Hampton.
IN PHOTO: Murray
However, in a release last evening, the education ministry said in the January 11 meeting, Blake said there were capable persons at the institution to act in Murray’s role so there would be no problem with her going off on leave as recommended.
It shared contents of two letters sent by Blake to Murray and school officials following the meeting.
In the letter to Murray, Blake advised her to see her doctor and ask him to write a certificate saying she is in good health to continue in her role as principal.
The letter to school officials on Monday outlined arrangements to fill the gap left by Murray for the two weeks.
The education ministry contends that the letters from Blake was sent in confirmation of the decision agreed at the January 11 meeting.
It says the education minister still expects the requested full report from the board, including the minutes from a board meeting on January 12 to determine the way forward.