Sun | Sep 24, 2017

Concerns raised about Hampton Court sewage system

Published:Monday | February 13, 2017 | 2:20 PM

The St Thomas Health Department has raised concerns about the conditions of the sewage system at the Hampton Court Housing Development which is slated to open this week.

Speaking at last week's meeting of the St Thomas Municipal Corporation, Acting Chief Public Health Officer, Setire Daley, said the sewage system is incomplete.

In a subsequent interview, Daley told our news centre that the health authority became aware of the situation when a team from the department visited the site in January.

She said recommendations were made for additional works to be done to improve and complete the sewage system.

Daley says the health department will continue to monitor the progress of operations.

She says families will not be allowed to move into the housing units until the system is completed. 

The Hampton Court Housing Development is a part of the Barracks Relocation Programme and is to house approximately 80 former sugar workers and their families.