Tue | Jan 23, 2018

St Thomas Health Dept concerned about incomplete sewage system in housing development

Published:Wednesday | February 15, 2017 | 12:00 AM

The St Thomas Health Department has raised concerns about the conditions of the sewage system at the Hampton Court Housing Development, which is slated to open this week.

Speaking at last week's meeting of the St Thomas Municipal Corporation, Acting Chief Public Health Officer Setire Daley said the sewerage system was incomplete.

Daley told our news team that the discovery was made when a team from the health department visited the site in January. She said that recommendations were made and additional works were to be done to improve and complete the sewerage system.

Daley said that the health department would continue to monitor the progress of operation. She was adamant that families would not be allowed to move into the units until the system is completed.

The Hampton Court Housing Development is a part of the Barracks Relocation Programme and is to house approximately 80 former sugar workers and their families.

- Shanna Monteith