Historical beauty in Spanish Town
Gleaner Chief Photo Editor Norman Grindley has been travelling across the island with his camera in tow, ready to capture images of the good, the bad and the ugly.
Today, he presents the historical beauty of Emancipation Square in Spanish Town, St Catherine.
Spanish Town, St Catherine, the former capital of Jamaica, is a location rich with history.
Back in 1534m when it was settled by the Spanish, it was originally named Villa de La Vega (City on the Plains) before being captured by the British in 1655 and renamed St Jago de La Vega.
The former town centre, now known as Emancipation Square, consists of four key buildings - the old court house south of the square, that was built in 1819; the old House assembly to the east, a two-storey brick building that was constructed in 1762, which now houses the St Catherine Municipal Corporation's offices; Rodney's Memorial, now Jamaica Archives, to the north; and the shell of the old King's House to the west.