Mon | Oct 23, 2017

No sign extortion suspects could have carried out threats in letter, say cops

Published:Thursday | March 9, 2017 | 10:09 AM

Police investigators say there is no indication that the persons behind the alleged plot to extort business operators in St Catherine, Clarendon and Manchester had the capability to carry out their threats.

However, head of the Counter Terrorism and Organid Crime division (C-TOC), Assistant Commissioner Clifford Chambers, says given the existence of contract killers in the criminal underworld it cannot be ruled out.

Four persons, including a 60-year-old woman, are now in custody on suspicion of orchestrating the distribution of letters to business operators in Mandeville last Friday demanding extortion payments of up to $100,000.

The Gleaner/Power106 News Centre obtained a copy of the letter, which warned that business operators who resisted or refused to pay up, as well as their families and employees, would be killed.

Assistant Commissioner Chambers says the investigation has so far revealed that no money was paid to the alleged extortionists.

Meanwhile, he says the four suspects have not been interviewed by detectives because they have not yet secured legal representation.

Chambers says he expects that this will be done before the end of the week, clearing the way for the suspects to be formally charged.