Thu | Aug 24, 2017

Charges to be laid against alleged Manchester extortionists

Published:Wednesday | March 15, 2017 | 3:03 AM

The Manchester police last evening indicated that they would be laying charges against the suspects they have in custody in relation to the incidents of attempted extortion in Manchester.

There was no word up to late last night on whether the charges had been laid.

However, speaking at a special joint forum between the police and the Manchester Chamber of Commerce last evening, head of the Manchester police superintendent Wayne Cameron said two main charges will be laid on these individuals, pending further investigations.

These are Extortion and Conspiracy to Extort.

However, she says the police are continuing investigations with a view to laying further charges.

Five persons have so far been taken in with a sixth member on the run.

An additional individual, who was already in a remand centre and allegedly making phone calls to propel the ring, has also been intercepted.

Cameron says there may be one or two additional persons of interest, as reports of persons calling to demand money from businesses, have been made.

EDITOR'S NOTE: The police superintendent in this article was incorrectly identified as Cameron Powell, the story has been updated to reflect his corect name, Wayne Cameron.