Sun | Aug 20, 2017

Still no agreement on payout for motorists affected by bad gas

Published:Wednesday | March 15, 2017 | 3:07 PM

There’s still no agreement between the Consumer Affairs Commission (CAC), petroleum marketing companies and gas station owners on compensation for motorists affected by the bad gas saga.

The parties resumed negotiations last month after the CAC indicated that it was prepared to go to court to get an order compelling them to pay up.

However, CAC Chairman, Kent Gammon, says both sides are yet to reach an agreement on a final figure adding that the negotiations are ongoing.

Gammon says he’s hoping to have another meeting next week.

The CAC is seeking a payout for the more than 350 motorists who it says suffered between $25 and $30 million in damage to their vehicles because of contaminated gas.

In November 2015, motorists complained about damage to their vehicles after purchasing contaminated fuel.

Months later, an investigation by an independent committee set up by the government did not identify the cause of the contamination.

The CAC chairman has argued that while the source of the contamination was not identified the CAC believes motorists should be compensated.