Grindley's Guide to Jamaica | The Bog Walk Gorge
Travelling along the winding road through the Bog Walk Gorge in St Catherine, you can't help but take a glimpse at the river that separates the beautiful mountainsides, with rocks of all shapes and colours from years of weathering. This landscape is an attraction for locals and tourists alike.
According to the Jamaica National Heritage Trust, the name Bog Walk is derived from the Spanish phrase 'boca de agua', which means 'water's mouth'. It is not known when the Spaniards entered this area of the island, though they had an active involvement up to the time of the conquest of the island in 1655. During the 1660s, after the British occupation, the Bog Walk Gorge, or the Rio Cobre Gorge, was discovered by Carey Helyar.
In 1770, the first road was cut through the gorge. The first bridge, connecting both sides of the gorge, was made of wood but was later replaced by the present structure, the Flat Bridge, which is constructed from cut stone and mortar.