Wed | May 23, 2018

Immigration Corner | Should I report it?

Published:Tuesday | March 21, 2017 | 12:00 AM
Clipart graphic Worried

Dear Mr Bassie,

I have a biometric residence permit and there has been a change in my circumstances. Will I need to report this change?

- MS


Dear MS,

Persons who are in the United Kingdom must report any changes if they have either: a biometric residence permit (BRP); or applied for a BRP but have not received a decision as yet.

How persons do this depends on what they are reporting. If persons are reporting a change of address only, this can be done without having to apply for a new BRP. The forms that should be filled out will depend on whether they: have a valid BRP; or if they have applied for one but have not had a decision letter.

Persons must report all other changes to their circumstances. How this is done depends on what has changed. With respect to changes to persons' names or personal details, they must apply for a new BRP straight away if any of the following things change: name, for example, if a person got married; nationality; facial appearance; date of birth, for example, if it was incorrect; gender.

Persons should be aware that how they report the change and apply for a new BRP will depend on whether they have: permission to stay in the United Kingdom temporarily, that is 'leave to remain'; permission to settle in the United Kingdom, that is 'indefinite leave to remain'.

If persons need to apply for a new BRP, they must do so within three months. If not, persons can be fined up to £1,000 or have their stay shortened.

Other changes must also be reported, that is, any other changes to the details that were given in the BRP application, including if persons: get a criminal conviction; are separated from their partner; children stop living permanently with them. If any of these apply, persons must fill in the change of circumstances form and send it to the address on the form.

If persons are outside of the United Kingdom they should contact the visa application centre where they applied if there is a change to their: reason or reasons for going to the United Kingdom; address; or personal details, e.g. a name, because persons recently got married.

It should be noted that persons may need to make another visa application at their local visa application centre.

I hope this helps.

- John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (U.K.). Email: