Linstead hospital poised for growth
LINSTEAD, St Catherine:
Chief Executive officer (CEO) at the Linstead Public Hospital, Camille Wallen-Panton, has revealed that the hospital is operating way beyond its designated capacity for the last 30 years.
She, however, notes that this is about to change with the improvement in service delivery.
"This is to ensure that the citizens of the parishes of St Catherine, St Ann, St Mary, Clarendon and St Andrew receive optimal care to build the healthy nation we envision," Wallen-Panton noted, making reference to the expansion of services that has taken place and those that are yet to come on stream.
According to her, the expanded service demand of the hospital was observed by the Linstead Hospital Redevelopment Committee, that has collaborated with the hospital management team to lobby for improved services.
"The seed of the collaborated effort has borne fruit, some have ripened. For example, laboratory service being offered for the first time in the life of the institution; the X-ray department has been reopened; and the administrative block is now the new home of the hospital management and administrative staff," Wallen-Panton revealed.
Observing the institution's longevity in providing health care for more than 100 years, commemorated at a church service at the Linstead Baptist Church recently, the CEO highlighted the services that are near completion.
"Some fruits, like the internationally compatible Accident and Emergency Department, are approaching the stage of maturity," she disclosed, adding that the operating theatre, pharmacy and renovated wards are functioning at full capacity.
The Linstead Hospital was built in 1917 at its present location on Rodney Hall Road in Linstead.
It was once the main facility for treating tuberculosis before the establishment of the National Chest Hospital in Kingston.