Thu | Jan 18, 2018

Immigration Corner | I'm confused!

Published:Tuesday | March 28, 2017 | 12:00 AM

Dear Ms Powell,

A friend told me about 'Atlantic Immigration' as a way to become a permanent resident of Canada. I've been reading up about the programme and it's so confusing. Can you please tell me how I can qualify under this programme?

- KP


Dear KP,

Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), formerly Citizenship and Immigration (CIC), has recently introduced the Atlantic Immigration Pilot that is designed for skilled workers and international student graduates who want to permanently live in the provinces of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

This is exciting news for individuals who have had training and at least one year's work experience as managers, supervisors and trade workers such as chefs, food servers, butchers and truck drivers in one of the Atlantic provinces.

To qualify under these programmes, you first need to have the requisite work experience, a valid job offer, the minimum required education, and then contact one of the settlement service providers to do a 'needs assessment' and provide you with a personalised settlement plan. You cannot apply without this report.

The first condition is that you must be a skilled worker and able to fit into one of the following three categories: intermediate, high-skilled and the graduate programme. Net condition is that you will need to have a legitimate job offer from an employer in the province and have a settlement plan.




For the Atlantic Intermediate-Skilled Programme category, you will need to demonstrate that you have a job offer from a qualified employer and your job must fall with the category skill type A, B, O or C. At least one year's work experience must be in the category C. Usually, skill type C requires a minimum of high school and job-specific training. These job titles include long-haul truck drivers, butchers, and food and beverage servers.

Under the Atlantic High-Skilled Programme category, individuals will need to have a minimum of one year's work experience within the past three years and at least one year at skill level O, A, or B. Skill B includes technical and trade jobs such as plumbers, electricians and chefs. The minimum education required is a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, or an educational credential assessment report which shows that your education in your country is equivalent to a Canadian certification.

The Atlantic International Graduate Programme category is designed to encourage individuals who have studied at a recognised public school within one of the Atlantic provinces for a minimum of two years. No job experience is required. However, you must have lived in the province for a minimum of 16 months in the past two years. This category is targeting recent graduates of an Atlantic college, university or trade school who must have had a valid visa to work and study in Canada.

This is a pilot programme, so only 2000 applications will be processed in 2017. So if you fall under one of the categories listed above and have all the relevant documents, you should apply immediately. Note that you will need the support of your designated employer, who will be required to submit a properly completed (IMM5650) form; proof of funds based on the number of persons in your family; police clearances; proof of language proficiency and education.

- Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public. Send your questions or comments to Find her on or call 613.695.8777/ 876.922.4092