Mon | May 22, 2017

Judge frustrated with delays in Mario Deane case

Published:Wednesday | April 12, 2017 | 4:39 AM

The presiding judge in the case against three cops implicated in the death of Mario Deane is expressing frustration about the delays in having the matter heard.

When Corporal Elaine Stewart and district constables Juliana Clevon and Marlon Grant appeared in court on Monday, the case was deferred until May 29.

The trio were on duty at the Barnett Street Police Station, Montego Bay, when Deane suffered the fatal beating.

Dean had been arrested for possession of a ganja spliff.

The accused cops were told by the court on Monday that an extension would give the prosecution time to determine how its case will proceed.

The court was told that one of the prosecution’s witnesses was scheduled to undergo a psychiatric evaluation at the Cornwall Regional Hospital.

But presiding parish judge Sandria Wong-Small, lamented that she has been awaiting the conclusion of the prosecution’s case for quite a while.

She noted that it is now close to the second year since she has been dealing with the case and it has to end.

Earlier this year, the case was stalled due to the absence of a prosecution witness who was said to be overseas.

Stewart, Clevon, and Grant are charged with manslaughter, misconduct in a public office, and perverting the course of justice, arising from allegations that they were on duty at the time when Deane was beaten in a cell at the Barnett Street lock-up on August 3, 2014.

It’s alleged that Stewart gave instructions for the cell in which the beating took place to be cleaned before the arrival of investigators from the Independent Commission of Investigations.