RIU explosion report expected by Friday
Local Government and Community Development Minister Desmond McKenzie says by Friday, he expects to receive a preliminary report on last week’s explosion at the RIU Hotel in Montego Bay.
Meanwhile, McKenzie says the Jamaica Fire Brigade, which is leading the investigation into the incident, has cleared the hotel to resume operations.
But McKenzie says the Fire Brigade is continuing the investigations and will present a final report shortly.
In addition to that, he says the Jamaica Fire Brigade and a technical team comprising representatives from various agencies will tomorrow start a full review of every aspect of the hotel’s operations.
This team will be led by the Chief Executive Officer of the National Works Agency, E.G. Hunter.
McKenzie is stressing that everything is being done to ensure that the personal safety and other concerns emerging from the incident, are balanced with the need to drive continued economic growth through tourism, which is Jamaica's main foreign exchange earner.