Hello Mi Neighbour | Thou shalt not steal
Hello, mi neighbour! If through covetousness you seek to find pleasure, you could end up helping yourself to what does not belong to you and then become the primary cause of your own suffering or untimely demise - rank stupidity.
More than a mouthful, but that's just a round-about way of saying "thou shalt not steal". Thieving may bring exciting but temporary pleasure which cannot compensate for the pain and misery which follow. Will we ever learn?
A recent incident in Jamaica brings to mind a similar incident which occurred in Pendleton, United States on February 14, 2014: "two men were taken into custody after the stolen car they were driving crashed into the back of a garbage truck in Pendleton. Both men and the driver of the truck were uninjured. The men were charged with fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property. A Webb Street man had reported the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier missing Thursday morning. The victim said the car had been taken sometime between 3:00 and 6:00 a.m."
Approximately three years later: "at 6:48 a.m. Sunday, May 21, 2017, a man is dead and another in hospital following a two-vehicle crash this morning on Spanish Town Road near to the Riverton City disposal site. The police report that shortly before 6:00 am the driver of a Toyota Axio motor car, which was earlier stolen, was heading towards Six Miles. It's reported that the car slammed into the back of a garbage truck and overturned. The driver sustained injuries and died at the scene.
"The truck driver was taken to the hospital. The man who has not been identified appeared to be in his mid-twenties. The car was actually stolen from Pembroke Hall. The lady just bought the car on Friday. The deceased, who was in the car, was making his escape along with stolen items when he had this collision with the garbage truck. The garbage truck eventually overturned."
INSULT TO INJURY
One possible message from the above incidents: thou shalt not steal motor vehicles from Pembroke Hall, Jamaica or Pendleton, USA, for thou shalt surely crash into the back of garbage trucks! And I dear say that to crash into a regular motor vehicle is one thing but to crash into the back of a garbage truck is certainly adding insult to injury!
Though understandably incensed, the pain and misery experienced by the relatives of the deceased should evoke an emotional response in all of us, which helps to cushion their blow. Yes, the young man was a thief but his mother could still be seeing him as that bouncing baby boy she brought into the world (through pain) over 20 years ago. Hush mother. often times, whenever our children make wrong choices, they do not receive wrong punishment.
For the rest of us, let's remember not to covet our neighbour's goods, our neighbour's house, our neighbour's motor vehicle, our neighbour's spouse, our neighbour's job, our neighbour's wealth, etc. To do so, is to try to steal them. To disobey the injunction: thou shalt not steal, is to cause destruction on oneself. If you must covet, covet this: thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself...
THANKS FOR HELPING YOUR NEIGHBOURS
* Sister Gordon, Trelawny - for offering clothing
* Sister Ann, St Andrew - for offering food to a neighbour
* Lascelles, Trelawny - for offering a refrigerator to Sister Gordon, Trelawny,
* Mr Clarke, St Catherine - for TV and men's clothing
OPPORTUNITIES FOR HELPING
* Miss Laing, St Mary - Asking for a stove. Facing severe difficulty especially whenever it rains. Thanks in advance to the donor
* Neighbour - Asking neighbours for a play pen.
* Neighbour - Needs clothing and shoes for church. Sizes eight and nine
* Tenesha - Needs a queen size mattress
* Nickiesha, Clarendon - Needs a mattress
* Neighbour, Manchester - Desperately needs a little piece of land in the Manchester area to build a little house...
* Neighbour - Asking for a single bed
* Neighbour - Has a chronic illness, in need of a bed base and a stove
- To help, please call Silton Townsend @ 334-8165, 884-3866, or deposit to acct # 351 044 276 NCB. (Bank routing #: JNCBJMKX) or send donations to HELLO NEIGHBOUR C/o 53 Half Way Tree Road, Kingston 10; Paypal/credit card: email: email@example.com. Or contact e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org